I always feel bad about coming down hard on Jeanne. She is a wonderfully conceived and beautifully realized character. Both the writer/director and the actress should be praised for creating such an accurate portrait.
The other character that touches my heart is Tori, Zach's steadfast best friend and sometimes girlfriend. She serves as the perfect counterpoint to Jeanne and a crucial element in the love story.
The other character that touches my heart is Tori, Zach's steadfast best friend and sometimes girlfriend. She serves as the perfect counterpoint to Jeanne and a crucial element in the love story.
***
Modernity and maturity personified, many contemporary women are independent but not cold, loving but not clingy. They could be anywhere in the world and dealing with any set of circumstances, but they all have perfected the skill of being gentle when they need to be and tough when they have to be. I'm reminded of those "girl power" shows and cartoons from the 90's and it's somewhat cool to find out that woman power isn't about supernatural gifts or cultural phenomena. More and more, I'm realizing that it's about women accepting their power over their own lives and understanding their influence in the lives of others. It's well known, however, that with rights come responsibilities. Like "special powers", woman power can be wielded for either good or evil.
***
To Tori, the real question is, "Do you love him?"Tori is such a stabilizing force. She seems to approach every situation with the utmost level-headedness. True to her down-to-earth nature, Tori cuts through Zach's emotional conflict to what matters most.
Many people have referred to the French film, Just a Question of Love (Juste une question d'amour) as a companion piece to Shelter. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's next on my list. Who knows? Maybe I'll have another reason to blog my brains out. - Not! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment