Monday, February 1, 2010

Baby on board, huh!

I think Cody has to be the most adorable child character to show up on screen in ages. Who wouldn't be powerless against that perfect haircut, those precocious mannerisms and the endearing demeanor? It's easy to understand why anyone with a heart, and in their right mind, would completely rearrange their life to look after him.
***
All too often, society sends the message that children are excess baggage rather than precious cargo. I'm always tempted to focus on the work they involve or the sacrifices they require instead of appreciating the love they exude and the hope they represent. The truth is, childhood is the most significant time in a person's life and a wonderful opportunity for caretakers. The type of pain experienced and the amount of protection received during childhood greatly influences whether someone will remain a caterpillar or become a butterfly. I always take popular psychology with a huge grain of salt but, the older I get, the more I realize the important role childhood experiences play in defining who adults become - myself especially! The oft-maligned concept of the Inner Child is common knowledge. Except for a Ph.D. in Psychology, however, it's harder to gain an understanding of the idea behind it. The Child Within is an online explanation which may (or may not) prove helpful to those looking for a close-up on the topic.
***
The word "board" seems to run through much of Shelter's plot. It appears in a variety of contexts and with a number of connotations:
**
1) Gabe to Zach: "Baby on board, huh!"
I guess it bears repeating that Zach's life was totally affected by his love and care for his nephew, Cody. The viewer sees how drastically different Zach's daily activities are from his friends', and even his sister's, for that matter.
**
2) Zach to Shaun: "I wouldn't want to get your Dad in trouble with the Board."
Ah, the beauty of exclusive communities - not to mention the confinement and repression of wealth! It, however, becomes easily apparent why a liberated soul like Shaun would not want to live under such control - not to mention, latent hypocrisy and bigotry.
**
3) Gabe to Shaun: "My big bro on a longboard, I never thought I'd see the day!" Shaun to Gabe: "Give it ten years and call me back on that."
Perhaps nothing confirms Shaun's adulthood and maturity more than this exchange. Especially in contrast with his little brother and Zach. Shaun is not just a "grown-up". He is a man who gracefully accepts the inevitable changes that come with age and peacefully embraces the necessary choices that accompany growth.
**
4) Zach leaving his longboard at the Andrews house.
The fact that Zach uses both a shortboard and a longboard appears to symbolize that he has to constantly switch between the youthful world of his peers and the grownup demands of his family. This was such an ingenious plot device because Zach's retrieving the longboard served as the catalyst for his mature and intimate relationship with Shaun.
**
5) Shaun getting Cody a kid's surfboard and wetsuit as a gift.
To me, this officially confirms Cody's adoption into the Andrews extended family. Zach came with Gabe and now Cody comes with Zach.

No comments:

Post a Comment